Tuesday 17 September 2013

Biddy hits the shops


When was the last time I shopped in Newbury? Well, last Tuesday actually. If truth be told, it had been a while. Living on the Berkshire/Hampshire border I am somewhat spoilt for choice: Winchester, Basingstoke, Southampton, Newbury – all within a half-hour drive.

For some time, Newbury was a favourite of mine for a shopping trip; I always loved the good choice of shops without that feeling of being overwhelmed. Then there was a spell when this traditional market town at times felt a little ... dare I say tired? But not anymore ...  magic has been woven and the recent development of Parkway has really brought the Newbury shopping experience into the 21st century, while Northbrook Street and its offshoots retain a charm of their own. And you don’t find that charm shopping online or in those enormous indoor shopping malls – you know, a big named-store at either end and all the usual suspects linking them, where the lights are too bright, the heating up way too high and the acoustics enough to give me a headache.

So, what makes Newbury special? For a start it is easy to park. I try Parkway car park for the first time and am pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the charges are. Big tick! The shops in the new development are definitely worth exploring – there is a good feel to them. Big tick! It is only clothes shops that I am focused on on this particular day, and as I am especially fond of Jigsaw and Mint Velvet I am very pleased to find them here.

Being in the open air as I stroll from shop to shop is a refreshing change from the aforementioned malls that never see the light of day. Big tick! Newbury’s pedestrianized Northbrook Street is another plus, making it one big, wide pavement so everyone can go at their own pace in their own space. Big tick!

There is a surprising number of individual shops and little hideaways tucked between well-known outlets. Weavers Walk is a great place to step out of the bustle; check out Fifi & Moose with its designer clothes, and Weavers Coffee Shop – a delightful coffee and cake stop off the main drag. (And I love a coffee. And cake.)

Camp Hopson is perhaps my best-loved department store of all time; I applaud the fact that this local retailer has stayed independent but offers all the choice, style and value of bigger names. Wending my way around the ‘rooms’, up and down the escalator ... there is nowhere quite like Camps. I could browse there for hours ....

Along to Bartholomew Street with Phase Eight on the corner (another favourite of mine) and where Cara of London has some exciting, exclusive numbers. Then there’s Mistral – well I’ve yet to go in there without really, really, really wanting something. Such pretty colours, such lovely designs .... The Market Place is just a few paces away and where Katharine Jayne boutique offers something special and is definitely hard to resist.

Gosh, look at the time! Must head back to the sticks – and, apart from Weavers Coffee Shop, I’ve barely started on the myriad cafés Newbury is home to. And you know how I love coffee. And cake. But that’s for another time.

If you haven’t been shopping in Newbury lately, it’s time you did. You really don’t know what you’re missing.

Biddy x

No comments:

Post a Comment