Monday 23 September 2013

Biddy at The Watermill


Did you get to the summer show at The Watermill? The Witches of Eastwick was a blast. I have never seen the film or read the book (though it is now on my ‘to read’ list) so was not sure what to expect but going on past productions and knowing Craig Revel Horwood was director and choreographer ... well, I just knew it was going to be too good to miss. And I was not mistaken nor disappointed – but then The Watermill has never let me down yet.

Every time I go to The Watermill I feel truly blessed to have such a wonderful venue as my local theatre. Over the years the husband and I have taken many friends there – local and otherwise. It is one of those venues that never fails to impress – even those who are not normally theatregoers. The shows alone make it worthwhile but the pretty building in its beautiful country setting make it an even more special event.

I can remember the first time I went there, many years ago, even before we moved to this neck of the woods. As we turned off the main road and tootled along the country lane, I thought we must have taken a wrong turn. And then suddenly there we were.

I love everything about The Watermill experience – the charming youngsters who guide visitors into a parking place; the friendly bar and restaurant staff; strolling on the lawns, drink in hand, gazing at the river, admiring the ducks ... it all makes for a relaxing evening before the show even starts.

Anyway, back to The Witches of Eastwick. On this occasion we had friends from Australia staying for the weekend and had booked tickets for the four of us some time in advance. At the last minute we decided to eat at The Watermill pre-show. Despite the main restaurant being fully booked they still managed to accommodate us and we enjoyed a lovely meal in the Lily Pond. Well not actually IN the Lily Pond or we’d have got wet, but in the light and airy ‘orangery’ attached to the restaurant that happens to have a lily pond it in. Both the husband and I adore the buffet-style hors d’oeuvre starter – so much so that he generally chooses that as a main course too. (Me, I have to hold out for a pudding so sometimes skip the main course ... they are refreshingly flexible like that.)

The show was truly magnificent. As always with Watermill musicals we were full of admiration for the actors who not only act but sing, dance and play musical instruments too. As you can imagine, our Ozzie friends had never been anywhere like it and were blown away. They will be over again next summer and have already insisted on a return visit.

The Watermill at Bagnor, Newbury. I for one already have two more shows booked over the coming months and can hardly wait to see what delights the Spring/Summer programme will bring. Oh and before I go, a quick question: is it only me who has to sing ‘Didn’t we have a lovely time the day we went to Bagnor’ each time we go there? (Drives the husband mad ...)


Biddy x



No comments:

Post a Comment