Monday 8 February 2016

Biddy at The Real Macaron Company

Macaron or macaroon? The coconutty cakes of my childhood were definitely macaroons with a double ‘O’. But the gorgeous, pretty, colourful, flavoursome delights at The Real Macaron Company in Newbury are surely only a distant, and far more sophisticated, Parisian cousin.

Having passed The Real Macaron Company on the way into town many times, I had been meaning to stop off and treat myself to a box of macarons for ages. Anyway, with a special tea-time planned for some of my nearest and dearest, I decided now was my opportunity.

The Real Macaron Company is on the corner of Newtown Road, close to its junction with Andover Road on the St John’s roundabout. There is on-street parking but I as I needed to be in town anyway, I decided to walk from there – and it only took me 15 minutes from Parkway.

They open at 10am (Wednesday to Saturday) and I arrived a few minutes beforehand, so on an unseasonably warm day sat and watched the world go by on the outdoor table and chairs until the lovely owner arrived to open up.

What I had not appreciated was that this macaron shop is also a lovely little café too, serving hot and cold drinks (very good coffee, and you know how I love my coffee), along with the essential macarons, home-made brownies and cupcakes, as well as fresh croissants and pan au raisins. Heaven!

Despite all the other temptations, including the smell of baking coming from the oven, I was determined not to be swayed and plumped for a macaron – a pistachio one, such a beautiful green, how could I resist? And very delicious it was too.

The café is tiny – but cosy, fresh and contemporary. I was surprised how many people arrived while I was there. A young woman who was also trying it for the first time, followed by a couple of regulars, and then a family of four. It was fairly bursting at the seams by now, and there was a lovely, friendly atmosphere. There are macaroon cookery books to browse through while you enjoy your treat, and on display are some fabulous ideas for wedding or party cakes – brilliant fun and a perfect way to ‘theme’ to whatever your colour scheme is as you can get macarons made to order in more or less any colour or flavour you fancy.


The owner, Gaye, was more than happy to describe all the macarons available that day, so before I left I bought a box of delights (lemon, chocolate, vanilla, coconut … and another couple of pistachio which were sooo good) to take with me. She also let me know about the macaron workshops that she runs regularly. I am planning on adding one to my birthday wish list …

Biddy x

3 comments:

  1. setting up a limited company Great thread it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting thread. A lot of threads I these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. ハンディターミナルバーコード開発

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly value this wonderful article you might have supplied for us. I assure this may become necessary for a lot of people.

    Please visit: http://mouldexperts.ca/

    ReplyDelete