Friday 4 December 2015

Biddy: Like a Kid in a Toy Shop at Camp Hopson

I love a good toy shop and was delighted when Camp Hopson opened a toy department earlier this year. It was my first port of call when my grandson, DD, turned 3 a few weeks ago and now with Christmas fast approaching I made another pilgrimage.

Situated on the first floor of Newbury’s famous department store, what I really like about Camp Hopson toy department is that it is not too big. I find those ‘toy supermarkets’ overwhelming – just too much stuff and too much choice in my opinion – so having it all in a contained area at Camps suits me very well.

Another thing I especially like is that there is a fantastic range at very sensible prices. Yes, you can get a rocking toy lion for several hundred pounds if you feel the need, but there are lots of toys and games for well under £10 too.

And yet another thing I like (I know, I do go on!) is that many of the items are ones that will give children something to do – so they are often educational but in a fun way. There is a good range of Lego, for example, and activity books and craft kits – the sorts of things that will keep children entertained for hours, and certainly well beyond Christmas Day.

Rest assured there are, of course, plenty of hard-to-resist cuddly toys, cars, dolls, trains and so forth, too … something to delight every child on Christmas morning.



It is no surprise to me that the family-run Morleys group (who took over ownership of Camp Hopson a year ago) were named Toy Retailer of the Year 2015, claiming the crown above such toy legends as Hamleys and Harrods.

If you have little ones to buy for, I’d recommend putting Camp Hopson at the top of your Christmas shopping list.

And what have I got for DD? Well, that’s between me and Father Christmas …

Happy shopping … and Happy Christmas!

Biddy x

No comments:

Post a Comment