Wednesday 4 March 2015

Biddy at Côte

Late morning, between meetings, I needed a refuel so it was a perfect opportunity to stop by and see what’s what at the newest restaurant in town: Côte Brasserie.   

Côte, just by the bridge on Northbrook Street, looks incredibly smart on the outside, the windows mysteriously dark, and inside the cool, contemporary, sophisticated decor follows through. I was welcomed with a big, warm ‘Good morning’ and was just in time to be offered either the breakfast or lunch menu. At 11.45am, my body clock was undecided, so I took both. 

I was shown to a table by the window – a fabulous people-watching spot, and as this part of the restaurant is a little below pavement level you get an interesting knee-level view of those going by. There is loads of space; the restaurant goes back a fair way with lots of tables, nicely spaced, just as I like. There were half a dozen or so other tables occupied but in no time at all it was starting to fill up with customers attracted by the lunchtime offers. (Their set menu is fabulously priced at £9.95 for two courses and £11.90 for three.)

I ordered coffee while I browsed the menus, and was also brought water in a pretty ceramic bottle, a lovely touch and much appreciated by me. But down to business … breakfast or lunch, breakfast or lunch? Oh, decisions, decisions… 

Côte’s style is based on the brasseries of Paris and I almost fell for the Crêpe Complète, which comes with bacon and gruyère, from the breakfast menu, but at the last moment put on my sensible head and plumped for chargrilled chicken and walnut salad from the lunch menu … and another coffee because I had already polished off the first one and it was sooooo good. (I made the second one a decaff though, as didn’t want to be climbing the walls, and it was just as good as the ‘caff’ variety.)

Salad? A bit of an un-Biddy like choice? Not one bit of it. Although listed under the lighter meals on the menu, even I could not quite work my way through the delicious bowlful (and I mean full!) of crunchy green beans, avocado, walnuts, croutons, fresh lettuce and hot chicken in a mustard dressing. It was a more than adequate lunch, and good value.

The staff were discreetly attentive, quick and efficient – I was all done in 45 minutes which suited me very well and by which time the place was really buzzing. And the staff all look great dressed in floor length black aprons and crisp blue shirts, very chic, very French.

In fact, with a glimpse of the canal from my vantage point at the window, I could almost have believed it was the Seine and that I was in gay Paree! 

Biddy x

No comments:

Post a Comment