Thursday 2 October 2014

Biddy at Gelato Joe's

Fancy a sweet treat? Then I have just the place for you – go go go to Gelato Joe’s in Parkway!

I have been meaning to go for a while and found the time to treat myself to, er, lunch there last week. Yes, very naughty ... but very, very nice! There is a youthful buzz about the place, with a lovely young team ready and waiting to serve.  

But what to choose? A warm waffle? A chocolate covered cone? A sundae? No. As soon as I saw crepes on the menu, I was sold. And very delicious it was too. When it comes to crepes, I am very much a sugar and lemon sort of girl, so the Classic Crepe (which comes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a good squirt of whipped cream) suited me just fine – and at £3.50 I thought it very reasonable.  But I could have gone for something more exotic like Maple Me Up or Chocolate Heaven. The waffles also sounded delicious: there was the basic Canadian (again I was very tempted), Nice N’Nutty and Strawberry Sensation to name but three. Then there’s a long list of ice-cream sundaes: Eton Mess (with strawberry cheesecake, fresh strawberries and all the trimmings); Mint Choc Chunk, Nutty Buddy, Oreo Cooke Creation ... the list goes on!! Or you could go traditional with a banana split or good ol’ knickerbocker glory. There is even a Gelato burger – scoops of ice cream in a brioche bun ... sounds good to me!

Despite me always picturing, in my mind’s eye, ice-cream parlours as a place where teenagers hung out in the 1950s (and no, I didn’t do it myself – I’m not that old!) this is a place for all ages. While I was there a whole range of ages came through the door – grandparents with their little pride and joy; a mother and young daughter (I couldn’t help but admire how restrained mum was, choosing a black coffee while daughter indulged in something cool and chocolaty); a group of 30-somethings having a catch up over an ice cream; and three teenagers who asked for one sundae and three spoons between them – and I am pleased to say the staff didn’t raise any eyebrow and were more than happy to oblige. Fantastic.

With seating inside and out (under cover so whatever the weather you will be fine), if you like proper Italian ice cream (with no preservatives) get yourself down to Gelato Joe’s. Bet you’ll have a job deciding what to choose!


Biddy x 

No comments:

Post a Comment