Monday 14 July 2014

Biddy shops local

How many independent shops did you give your support to during Newbury’s ‘Shop Local Week’ this year?

I made the promise to make a point of ‘shopping local’ during the week of 30 June to 5 July – and I can, hand on heart, say I really enjoyed doing it. It felt like a step back in time, in a good way, to set out purposefully to do my shopping in the centre of Newbury. After all, independent retailers are what make each town unique – and aren’t we lucky to have them?

First up was a visit to Barry Forkin/Toomers in Bartholomew Street – who lay claim to being Newbury’s oldest established business. Locals will be well aware that they are stocked to the rafters with every piece of hardware and ironmongery you could wish to find. And, quite frankly, where else can you get rubber tap extensions?  (It’s the only way I can fill the watering can from the garden tap without soaking my feet, since you asked.)

My next stop was Willow and Blooms, the florist. As we had been invited to a friend’s house for dinner, I asked them to make me up a bunch of flowers for a fixed price. It was a pleasure to enjoy the lovely flowers in the shop and watch as they put together a most lovely mixed bouquet, tied with a ribbon. It was really pleasing to see how busy they were, with lots of displays made up and waiting to be delivered or collected throughout the day. 

On to Artifax, the mirror/picture framing shop and gallery: although I was not looking for a mirror, picture or frame, I do know they stock a select range of gifts and cards, so was happy to browse and choose a small gift for a friend’s up and coming birthday. Lost in my own little dream world amongst all the lovely things in Artifax, I noticed the time and had to march quickly to the other end of town to meet the husband for lunch at Hethertons.  Their coffee shop is always a good choice in my book – and lovely to sit outside in the sunshine to eat and watch the world go about its business.

Lunch done, I nipped into Camp Hopson as I needed a new lipstick. How I love all the gloss and glamour of their makeup department! And how fortunate we are to have an independent department store on our doorstep, with all that it has to offer.

Griffins butchers was my next port of call – their ham is delicious and priced highly competitively with any supermarket. I can thoroughly recommend it. Then it was next door to Oldbury’s deli for some cheese. There is a something lovely and relaxed about Oldbury’s, you don’t feel rushed to make a choice and can have a little nibble of whatever cheese you fancy before you buy. Their range of groceries is fantastic too – lots of different pastas, crackers, sauces, olive oils and so on – definitely worth a look. Lovely breads and cakes as well. And if you don’t already know, they’ve got a coffee shop tucked at the end of the store – on my ‘to do’ list next time I’m in town and in need of refreshment.

The final items on my list were kitchen related, and there are few such retailers with as fine a range as Kitchenmonger cook shop in Bartholomew Street. I could (and did) spend ages browsing all the lovely things before coming to my senses and buying what I actually needed – cake cases and a washing up brush! Mind you, I will probably be back to get some of those pretty espresso cups …

Time to go. My ‘Shop Local Week’ had been a very happy experience – service with a smile all the way. Definitely one to be repeated – and not just once a year!


Biddy x 

No comments:

Post a Comment